[EM] Oops! IRV.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Apr 14 16:13:12 PDT 2012

I choke when I see IRV called "fine" - it too easily ignores parts of
what the voters say.  For example, look at what can happen with A
being much liked, yet IRV not always noticing:

20 A
20 B>A
22 C>A
Joe ?

Condorcet would see A elected by 62 votes (plus, perhaps, Joe's
63rd).  IRV would be affected by Joe's vote:
.     A - 63 votes with B and C discarded.
.     B - 22 for C after 20A and 21B&20A discarded.
.     C - 23 votes with A and B discarded.

DWK