[EM] ¿Why do some absolutely hate ScoreVoting and insist on Ranked Ballots?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Apr 14 05:41:33 PDT 2012

On 4/14/12 3:42 AM, ⸘Ŭalabio‽ wrote:
>> >  	but your mapping makes the ranked ballot synonymous with the score ballot.  that is my point.
> 	In all voting systems, one counts votes at some point.  ScoreVoting is just more explicit about it.

no, Score voting does *not* count votes.  it totals scores or ratings.

Olympic judges are *not* voting for their favorite contestant.  they are
scoring or rating them, ostensibly objectively.  but we go into the
voting booth as *partisans* and we put *all* of the voting power we have
(that is limited by "One person, one vote") behind the candidates that
represent our political interests.

it's not the same.

>> >  	so you're saying that we can have our choice between rating and ranking, as long as we choose rating.
> 	Frankly, I do not see what the big deal is, given that at some point one must quantify, anyway.

it's called "bait-and-switch", Ŭalabio.  you say "here is a method that
should accommodate both you Ranked-Choice advocates and us Score
advocates", but when we buy the product, we find that it is only a Score
ballot.

in a system that quantifies according to the principle of
One-person-one-vote, it doesn't matter that you like your candidate much
more than i like my candidate.  our votes count equally anyway.

the ranked ballot is there *only* to deal with voter contingencies.
unless it's Borda, then the ranked ballot is there to score the
candidates in a crude manner.  that's why Borda is a crappy way to
tabulate ranked ballots.

gotta go to New Hampshire (a possible swing state, Vermont is safe) to
campaign for Obama.  talk to you guys later.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com