[EM] PR >> Best Single-Winner Method > FPTP

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 25 09:50:13 PDT 2011

  M. Munsterhjelm,

I think that STV is actually the best "product on the market"
when we look at multiple-winner systems. But the number of seats per
super-districts has a huge influence over the quality
of the results and the quality of the debates.
A small number of seats per super-district harms the proportional
representation.
A high number of seats per super-districts harms the democratic process,
at least
because of the difficulty to obtain fair debates between a huge number
of candidates.

Thus, I designed a sampling technique to obtain results "equivalent"
to a unique huge STV district without the problem of the explosion
of the number of candidates. The name of the method is SPPA (french
acronym).
It creates similar districts to represent the population based on the
date of birth of the elector
(day and month but not year). Every party thus presents a unique
candidate per astrological district.
But results can be compared for an identical party between different
districts to obtain an open list.
For a summary or more details:
http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/9/9/3/9/p199397_index.html