[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 87, Issue 54

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 15:02:25 PDT 2011

But you are completely missing the point of what I wrote.  It is the political consequences of the second result that are important.

In the real world of partisan politics, such a weak Condorcet winner (and their policies) would likely be torn to shreds by the
party politicians and their party members, to such an extent that s/he would be ineffectual in office.  And based on my experience
of UK electors, with their majoritarian views of elections, the weak Condorcet winner would get little support from those whose
votes had voted him or her into office.  It must be for others to judge whether the electors in their countries (USA, Canada) would
react in a similar way, but I have seen nothing in the US or Canadian press to suggest otherwise.

It is dirty practical politics that is the problem here, not the fact that voters could rank their choices honestly.  In my view,
such a result would be less acceptable to the electors than the plurality result, despite all the obvious defects in the plurality
voting.  That's just how it is  -  and if you want to achieve real, practical reform, you have to understand that.

James Gilmour