[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not the friendliest]

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Sep 23 08:29:22 PDT 2011

On 9/22/11 2:37 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> 2011/9/22 robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com
> <mailto:rbj at audioimagination.com>>
>
>     On 9/22/11 12:40 PM, James Gilmour wrote:
>
>         I cannot comment on the quoted remark (cut) that prompted your
>         post and I know nothing at all about the activities of anyone
>         at FairVote, but you have hit on a real problem in practical
>         politics in your comment above  -  the problem of the weak
>         Condorcet winner.  This is a very real political problem, in
>         terms of selling the voting system to partisan politicians
>         (who are opposed to any reform) and to a sceptical public.
>

>     i remember Rob Ritchie arguing this case to me in 2009 (why
>     "sometimes IRV is better than Condorcet").
>

>         For example, with 3 candidates and 100 voters (ignoring
>         irritant preferences) we could have:
>            35 A>C
>            34 B>C
>            31 C
>         "C" is the Condorcet winner.  Despite the inevitable howls
>         from FPTP supporters, I think we could sell such an outcome to
>         the electors.
>
>         But suppose the votes had been (again ignoring irrelevant
>         preferences):
>            48 A>C
>            47 B>C
>             5 C
>         "C" is still the Condorcet winner - no question about that.
>          But I doubt whether anyone could successfully sell such a
>         result to the electorate, at least, not here in the UK.
>

>     even though there were 48 voters who preferred C over B, 47 that
>     preferred C over A, along with the 5 that preferred C over both A
>     and B.
>
>     that does not appear to me to be such a bad result.
>

> That's debatable. It's possible that C did not get an appropriate
> level of scrutiny from the voters; that if they'd looked more closely,
> they would have found some serious flaw.

that is a different issue.  vetting the candidates is an issue of having
an effective press and also of the opposing camps and other political
action groups.  if there is a skeleton in C's closet, it should come out
before the election whether Condorcet or FPTP is used.

but again, Jameson, consider the alternative: whenever you elect someone
who is not the Condorcet winner (especially if the election method had a
ranked-choice ballot, so there would be no question who the CW is), what
you are doing is electing someone (A or B) when a majority of the
electorate marked their ballot that they preferred some other specific
candidate (namely C) over whomever you elected.  that's a fundamental
problem, if majority rule and one-person-one-vote are the axiomatic
governing principles.

you can call C a "weak candidate", but i would call this simply a "close
election".  close elections often draw out pathologies.  the typical
pathology of a FPTP spoiled election (like Nader in 2000) can only
happen when the election is close between the top two candidates (if
Gore had a stronger lead over Bush, Nader wouldn't have made any
difference).  so to point to a close election and say that the winner is
suspect is nothing new.

i do not see the closeness of the scenario above as a convincing
argument that the single candidate who is preferred by a majority of
voters to any other candidate propped up against him/her should not be
elected to office in favor of one of those others so propped up.  it's
like Barrabas and Jesus; we hold up Candidates A and C and ask the
electorate "whom do you choose? A or C?" and the electorate responds
(with a slim majority), "C!".  so should we ignore the electorate and
elect A instead?  this happens again with B and C and the electorate
again responds with "C".  *why* should either A or B be elected when
that is the case?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com