[EM] Weak Condorcet winners

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 01:11:14 PDT 2011

Warren Smith  > Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 1:53 AM
> At the present time, Jon Huntsman gets only a tiny
> fraction of the USA-republican-presidential-nomination votes,
> according to polls. For this reason, certain media people
> have been saying it is a travesty Huntsman continues to run
> and is allowed in debates, etc.
>
> However...
> it is mathematically possible (and might even be true -- I
> have no idea... it's at least somewhat plausible) that
> Huntsman is "everybody's second choice" and therefore is the
> Condorcet candidate who would defeat every Republican rival
> one on one.
>
> So there's a possible very important example of a "weak
> Condorcet winner" in your face right now.

Your point is obscure.  My point is not that a "weak Condorcet winner" might exist or be elected, but about the political and
Political consequences of such a result.  The electors may vote that way, but once they and the party politicians see what has
happened all hell will break loose.  And it will be stirred up by a very hostile media.  At least, that's what I would confidently
predict would happen here in the UK.  The "weak Condorcet winner", while being the Condorcet winner, would be totally ineffective in
the discharge of the office to which s/he was elected.

James Gilmour