[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not the friendliest]

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:48:47 PDT 2011

2011/9/22 Peter Zbornik <pzbornik at gmail.com>

> Dear all,
>
> I agree with James, and that was why I proposed that election reform
> took the path through added election rounds.
>
> Reform of FPTP would thus add a second election round where the
> Condorcet winner would meet the FPTP winner. Who in the UK would
> object to that?
> <details snipped>

I agree that such a system would have good results, often would not even
need two rounds (if all systems' winners were the same), and would
successfully address the weak Condorcet winner objection. Unfortunately, I
also think that it passes the complexity threshold for most people. It's
hard enough to explain one new system; you're suggesting making it so we'd
have to explain three? Remember, faux-just-folks "too complicated for me"
arguments were a big part of the successful anti-AV campaign in the UK.

Jameson