[EM] Dodgson and Kemeny "done right"?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Sep 15 12:14:32 PDT 2011

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> A fourth common problem with Dodgson and Kemeny that I failed to
> mention is their common lack of efficient precinct summability.

Is that true? My implementation of Kemeny uses a variant of integer
program #3 from "Improved Bounds for Computing Kemeny Rankings", and
this integer program only needs access to the graph itself to find the
minimum feedback arc set.

In voting terms, that means that the integer program only needs the
Condorcet matrix to determine who the winner is. In optimization terms,
the problem consists of finding the transitive sequence "C_1 beats C_2
beats ... beats C_n" so that the sum of [C_1 beats C_2] + [C_2 beats
C_3] + ... + [C_(n-1) beats C_n] is maximized. (Equivalently, one could
phrase it as minimizing the number of upsets - sum of "C_k beats C_(k-1)".)

Thus, unless I'm wrong, the precinct summability is the same as any
other Condorcet method, except to the extent that Kemeny is not summable
because it doesn't give the winners in polytime. However, Kemeny can't
give the winners in worst case polytime, not even if you have the
ballots themselves, unless P = NP.