[EM] Dodgson and Kemeny "done right"?

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Sep 15 10:44:04 PDT 2011

"Borda done right" is detailed here:

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2011-July/028043.html

"Dodgson done right" was sketched here:

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2011-July/027888.html

The version of Dodgson I was addressing does not attempt to output a social order like Kemeny does.  (I agree with your treatment of Kemeny below.)

The usual version of Dodgson modifies the ballots minimally to create a pairwise beats-all candidate without saying who came in second, etc.

My versions of "{ranked method} done right" also include the clone free conversion of ordinal ballots to cardinal ballots, as detailed most thoroughly in the first link above.

A fourth common problem with Dodgson and Kemeny that I failed to mention is their common lack of efficient precinct summability.  In my "done right" versions this is taken care of by "faction
amalgamation" which is easy to do with cardinal ballots, but requires two "rounds" in the case of ordinal ballots; the first round sums all of the first place preferences to make this information available for
the clone free conversion of ordinal ballots to cardinal ballots.  Then the second round can also go forward summably by making use of the cardinalized ballots.

In the case of Dodgson, once the factions have been amalgamated, if there is no pairwise beats-all candidate, all interested parties can submit modifications of these faction scores.  The minimal
modification that yields a beats-all candidate determines the winner.