[EM] Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts: final stretch

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Sep 6 22:12:41 PDT 2011

still not sure of the efficacy of trying to persuade voters (or their
elected representatives) to try out different ballot formats than ranked
choice but...

"... The n*n matrix used in Condorcet has information useful to those
wanting to learn more about relationship of candidates. ..."

why, oh why, are all of you election method experts stuck on that silly
n x n matrix geometry (where the main diagonal has no information you
have to associate one number on the lower left with another number on
the upper right, and it isn't obvious which number goes with which
candidate) instead of grouping the pairwise totals *in* *pairs*???   like

    A  56
    B  44

    A  88       B  65
    C  12       C  35

    A  90       B  82       C  55
    D  10       D  18       D  45

THAT format is where you have useful information about the relationships
between candidates at a glance.

if we're gonna tell people about Condorcet, why are we putting it in a
stupid rectangular array where it is difficult to tell who beat who?  it
only makes it harder to sell this to skeptics.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com