[EM] SODA unfairly hobbles nonparanoid voters.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 14:04:07 PDT 2011

I think voter/strategic simplicity, and system-description simplicity, are
two different aspects. I certainly don't claim that SODA is any great shakes
in system-description simplicity, though there are worse. But it's no more
complex than the electoral college, and a giant leap more simple than how
Obama beat Clinton. That is to say, there are a lot of people who are OK
with not fully understanding a system. System-description simplicity is
definitely good, but not in my opinion a non-negotiable necessity.

As to voter/strategic simplicity... sure, it's not perfect, but I still
think it beats any other system I know of.

Jameson Quinn

2011/9/5 Toby Pereira <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk>

> I'm not sure that three of those are unmatched by other systems. Point 1 -
> I don't think it is the simplest system. I certainly don't think it's any
> simpler than straight approval, and they've also got to decide whether to
> delegate or not and they've also got to understand that their vote can be
> delegated only if they vote for one candidate. You say they don't need to
> defensively strategize, but I'm not sure how well the benefits of SODA would
> get across to the general public. So it's not clear whether voters will see
> the strategy as simpler. Even if the task of voting is relatively simple,
> understanding the system and why it works like it does is not simple, and I
> think you have to include that in the simplicity of a system. Overall I'd
> say it's an above averagely complex system. And I don't know about in
> America (although I can't imagine it would be much different from the UK),
> but in the UK I simply canot see people ever accepting this idea of
> delegating votes. It's a major paradigm shift and I think it renders it a
> non-starter as a serious system to elect parliaments, if I'm being honest
> (along with any other asset system).
>
> Also, if it is better for a voter to bullet vote and allow delegation (from
> their point of view), then voters who like a candidate but don't like their
> delegation list are presumably at a disadvantage to begin with, which
> they may perceive as unfair.
>
> Point 2 - You've said yourself that IRV satisifes this, but then I notice
> you've qualifed this earlier by saying any good system. Clever.

Actually, I even suspect that MJ may satisfy point 2, but for this point,
not having clear evidence that a system is satisfactory is almost as bad as
it definitely not being satisfactory.

> Point 3 - The chicken problem - yeah maybe. I'd have to get back to you.
>
> Point 4 - I imagine this is the one where it isn't unmatched by other good
> systems.
>
> So if we're allowing point 2 on this technicality, I still think it's only
> 2 out of 4, because I think it fails simplicity, and fails it badly.

Didn't say there weren't points where it failed :).

Jameson