[EM] Purpose of Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Sep 5 11:58:19 PDT 2011

Trying again as to what we are doing:

There can be democratic need in an election effort to make a
decision.  Selecting a collection of voters and a collection of
candidates to do this is a complex task and important, but not part of
this effort.  We are debating among:
.     Plurality - which we want to dispose of for inadequacy.
.     IRV - pleases some, but many want to discard for failures we
have seen.
.     Approval - most agree that it is a slight improvement, and most
would rather do better.
.     Condorcet/score/etc - most agree that moving to one of these is
worth it, and debate which is best.

Most of us agree that this is a worthy Election Method effort.

Fred wants something more, which he calls an Electoral Methods
effort.  I agree there is plenty of work to do as to such as voters
selecting candidates, but making our effort much bigger could make it
fail from overweight.

Dave Ketchum