[EM] Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Sep 3 18:55:32 PDT 2011

I look at this and shake my head.  I am not used to parties having the
kind of control implied here - let alone evil control.  But the evil
control could exist in other states.

Then I look at what has been written in our declaration.  I see
nothing for:
.     Who can be a voter - most any adult.
.     Who can be a candidate - most any voter.
.     What about primary elections?  Nothing said inconsistent with
voters joining a party, seeing to candidates for primaries and voting
in primaries.

Why do we have primaries?  With FPTP, multiple candidates from a party
in the main election could be a disaster.  If parties had the power
some imply, they could attend to this by preventing multiple party
candidates from being in the main election.

We talk of proportional-representation, that could involve party
control - but I do not remember the Declaration getting into that yet.

Via http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi I looked up NY
election law  (ELN).  It gets deeply involved in voters nominating
candidates by petition - voters who do not spend all their time at
this complex task - but nothing glaring about party control.

Dave Ketchum