[EM] Viewable Interim results with permitted vote changing

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 10:13:32 PDT 2011

This may well have been discussed before, and it wouldn't really be practical for parliamentary elections, but could be used in other situations. You allow a certain period for voting to take place (say a week), and when you cast your vote (logging into a computer with a password), it tells you the current result. Votes can be changed as many times as you want until the voting deadline. This would possibly be a little bit like SODA except that voters aren't putting delegation in the hands of the candidates, but do it all themselves.

I think it would potentially remove problems where "weak" winners get in - candidates that people rank/rate highly thinking that they will never get in, perhaps to put a gap between theit favourite and their perceived nearest rival.

As for what sort of ballot you'd use with this, I would suggest something simple. First Past the Post probably wouldn't be too horrific with this sort of voting, but I would suggest probably Approval.