[EM] Reposted - New measure of population density fairness for judging proportional fairness of redistricting plans

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 07:28:24 PDT 2011

Mostly I agree with you. One small quibble:

Yes. While the current form of my PDF measure makes representation
> proportional for the balance of regions having diverse population
> densities, you are right that if the slope of the level of
> partisanship is dissimilar to the slope of the level of population
> density, then it won't be a perfect measure.
>
> I agree with you that this flaw (that partisanship levels may not vary
> strictly linearly with population density) cannot be overcome using a
> nonpartisan measure.

This flaw is that one-sided partisanship may not be *proportional* with
ordinal population density. The idea that partisanship may not even be *
linear* with population density (ordinal or cardinal) is a totally separate
flaw; one which I'd mentioned and provisionally discounted as insignificant
(as long as plans are also reasonably compact) in my earlier message.

> However, the PDF measure still balances the representation among urban
> and rural districts very nicely and will tend, in today's situation of
> population distribution to balance the partisan representation.

This sounds plausible to me, but it would be great if you had evidence. Can
you run the PDF numbers for existing proportional, compact, pro-Democrat,
and pro-Republican filibuster proposals for a representative state (such as
FL)? I know that that's not a trivial project at all, but it would make your
paper truly fascinating.

Jameson