[EM] majority judgement question

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:06:38 PDT 2011

2011/10/19 Andy Jennings <elections at jenningsstory.com>

> Good points, Ross and Jameson.
>
> Section 4.3 of my dissertation (http://ajennings.net/dissertation.pdf)
> talks about this very thing.
>
> The Ac-Bc rule was proposed by David Gale (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gale) before his passing, to Balinski
> and Laraki directly.  I proposed a rule very similar to Jameson's (Ac -
> Bc)/(Mc + |Ac - Bc|).  Mine was (Ac - Bc)/(2*Mc).  Both are continuous
> everywhere (assuming fractional voters), even at the junction where the
> median changes from one grade to another.  (See graphs in the pdf.)

"Andy's" rule is simpler to state. "My" rule makes straighter lines, reduces
to something more sensible in the case of approval, and is a bit better for
stating the error on a poll. The two rules always give the same winner, so
it doesn't really matter.

> Also in my dissertation, I gave examples for the other two rules where a
> small change in the voter profile could cause a candidate to fall multiple
> rankings.
>
> On the other hand, Balinski and Laraki's rule is constant with respect to
> either Ac or Bc almost everywhere.  I think this might make it a little more
> resistant to strategic voting.

I've explored this a bit - not rigorously, just enough to sharpen my
intuition - and it does not seem to be true.