[EM] Poll for favorite single-winner voting system with OpaVote

matt welland matt at kiatoa.com
Sun Oct 9 17:04:06 PDT 2011

<cue grumpy old man voice>
So I gave the opavote thing (nicely done site BTW) a try and had the
same experience I do with every ranked vote system. Choice overload and
decision freeze up. I literally hate ranking and I hope to <insert deity
of choice> these things don't take over.

Given how many people love the ranked systems I wonder if there is a
cultural or age thing at play here, that or I'm just more time starved
or dumber than ya'll but ... (I'll say it again) I HATE ranking.

I remember coming to the States in the 80's having grown up in a
backwater third world country and finding simple stuff like ordering a
burger a bit overwhelming due to all the choices. 30 yrs later and I
still don't like the (to me) absurd amount of choices to be made in
consumer situations. Obviously everyone else is fine with the myriad of
mostly irrelevant choices to be made so likely I'm an anomaly.

So now I'm going to have to stare at a ballot with 20 items and 20!
possible arrangements (is it really that many? its been a long time
since stats class). All I can say is that it sucks and I'd prefer to
stick with broken plurality rather than deal with this. Oh well.

Has anyone done a study to assess how different people with different
backgrounds respond to the information and decision burden of different
voting systems?

BTW, my response to complex decision making are not entirely out of the
"normal" range:

http://www.wealthinformatics.com/2011/06/29/too-many-choices-save-cost-money/

Matt
-=-