[EM] Poll for favorite single-winner voting system with OpaVote

Jeffrey O'Neill jeff.oneill at openstv.org
Sun Oct 9 15:36:57 PDT 2011

I've been working on OpenSTV for about 10 years now, and while it is great
at counting votes, it doesn't help you run online elections where you can
collect votes from your voters.

OpaVote (formerly Opal) has been in development since early this year, and
it now adds this missing piece.  OpaVote is built on Google App Engine and
you can have elections with up to 40,000 voters, run polls, and run polls
where voters are required to register.  After using OpaVote, you can count
the votes with OpenSTV.

To demonstrate what OpaVote can do, I've started a poll to allow people to
vote for their favorite single-winner voting system.  To vote in this poll,
you have to register with your email address (to limit ballot box stuffing),
but your email will not be shared with anyone and will not be used for any
purpose other than this poll.

You can vote in the poll here:
    http://www.opavote.org/vote?ekey=agNzdHZyEAsSCEVsZWN0aW9uGO25GQw

Also, feel free to go OpaVote.org and create your own elections and polls.

I hope you find OpaVote useful, and any feedback would be appreciated.

best,
Jeff
OpenSTV -- Software for counting STV and ranked-choice voting
OpaVote -- Online elections for ranked-choice voting
http://www.OpenSTV.org
http://www.OpaVote.org