[EM] What was the outcome of the discussion on unifying behind a "simple and better" method?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 05:47:39 PDT 2011

I don't think that there was a conclusive result. Here's my impression of
the tentative results of that discussion:

   - During that discussion, SODA
voting<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA>was invented.
   - There was some discussion of the simplest Condorcet method. To my mind,
   people made a convincing argument that Copeland//Approval (ranking at any
   level counts as approval, most-approved candidate of those with most
   victories wins) was the simplest method and overall a pretty good one.
   - There was also discussion of uniting behind approval as a first step to
   reform, although there are certainly those who are dissatisfied with this
   option.
   - The consensus
statement<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyJLxI9dciXBbowM5mougnbGHzkL3Ue1QkD8nnMwWLg/edit?hl=en_US>discussion,
still active, grew out of this discussion.

As to resources for educating a non-academic audience... I think that the
consensus statement, linked above, is a pretty good one. I'd also offer my
quora answers about voting
systems<http://www.quora.com/Jameson-Quinn/Voting-Systems/answers>.
And I'd be interested in helping create such resources. If you could be a
little more specific about audience and format, I'll try to help.

Jameson