[EM] Wikiversity and voting systems, including delegable proxy

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Oct 7 11:06:00 PDT 2011

Once again, I'd like to invite all writers interested in voting
systems to create or help create educational "resources" on
http://en.wikiversity.org covering voting systems. While Wikiversity
uses the same MediaWiki software as Wikipedia, original research is
allowed on Wikiversity, and it is possible to create pages there that
are basically essays, personal opinions, as part of an overall
resource (which, in theory, must still be "neutral," from the overall
WikiMedia Foundation neutrality policy). The practical result is that
Wikiversity resources may be far deeper and are not limited to what
is found in Wikipedia "Reliable source," which exclude much of the
developed knowledge on voting systems of the past two decades.

I'm a "custodian" (sysop) on Wikiversity, even though I'm banned on
Wikipedia. I can assist any Wikiversity user in interfacing with and
finding consensus with the rest of the Wikiversity community (which
includes users who pop in from Wikipedia, often with "Wikipedian"
habits). Wikiversity is still a wiki, and can still have some of the
problems that show so strongly on Wikipedia, but there are, on WV,
more creative possibilities for resolving disputes, that allow much
deeper "educational resources" to be developed.

In particular, just about anything on electowiki (the Election
Methods wiki) could be appropriate for Wikiversity. I believe I can
assist in importing articles from there, assuming that permissions,
etc., are proper. It is then theoretically possible that Wikiversity
pages can be linked from Wikipedia articles, there is a template for
doing that on Wikipedia; Wikiversity is a place where topics can be
discussed (like any academic environment); discussion of topics is
generally restricted on Wikipedia, supposedly discussion on article
Talk pages there is limited to discussion of the specific text of the article.

There is also the possibility of participation in the
Wikiversity:Assembly, which is an experiment designed to test certain
approaches to deliberative process and, in addition, the usage of
Delegable Proxy. What will really work with that, though, is the
enrollment of users in the Wikiversity Assembly who are active in the
creation of educational resources there. I personally appreciate all
support, even from users who register for the purpose of
participating in that experiment, but what will really be effective
is the participation of users actually engaged in educational
resource creation. I know that there are many here who would be well
qualified to write on voting systems, so the purpose of this
invitation is to invite content creation on that.

If you have a Wikipedia account already, and have made this into an
SUL account (Single Unifited Log-in), you should be able to use that
at Wikiversity. You may also specially create an account there. Email
to me, through the Wikiversity interface or otherwise, is welcome.
I'm User:Abd on Wikiversity.

This invitation is sincerely extended to all with an interest in
voting systems, regardless of opinion or position, and I intend to
assist all who take it up.