[EM] Tiny ballot tweak to SODA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:59:33 PDT 2011

I just added one step to the description of
SODA<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA#Full.2C_step-by-step_rules>
:

1C) Ballots are formatted in order from candidates who submit the most
complete rankings of other candidates, to those who submit the least. Where
this is a tie, ordering is random. This is a slight incentive for candidates
to submit a complete ranking in order to appear high on the ballot.

Thus the revised example ballot looks like this:

*Vote for as many candidates as you approve, or vote for one candidate to
delegate your vote:*
▢ Adams (Prefers Churchill, then Bachelet, then Deakin)
▢ Candidate Bachelet (Prefers Deakin)
▢ Candidate Churchill (Prefers Adams and Bachelet)
▢ Candidate Deakin (No preferences declared)
▢ ____(write-in)____
▢ ____(write-in)____

*If you only vote for one candidate who does not win, your vote may help
elect that candidate's preferences, unless you check the box below:*
▢ Do not delegate. Do not let the candidate I voted for add approvals to my
vote.

*Note: When you vote for just one candidate, you are delegating your vote to
him or her, and he or she can then choose to modify your vote by adding
approvals for other candidates from the top of his or her preference list.
When he or she does so, it will be counted as if you had checked those
candidates above. This allows your favorite candidate to help negotiate a
good compromise result if he or she cannot win. He or she can not add an
approval for a candidate who is not in his or her declared preferences
listed above.*

*If you vote for more than one candidate, or if you vote for a candidate
with no declared preferences, your vote is not delegated. In that case,
no-one can add approvals to your vote, and it does not matter whether you
check the box above.*
*
*

Separately, I would be interested in writing an academic paper about SODA,
the chicken dilemma, and the Weak Condorcet Winner issue. I've never been
published academically before, and so I'm looking for someone with academic
credentials and experience to be a co-author. If you're interested, contact
me.

Jameson