[EM] advocacy: Approval is premature compromise

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Oct 4 11:00:02 PDT 2011

Of course Approval voting will never be used for electing U.S.
Congressmen or state governors.  Yet at the opposite end of the "size"
spectrum, Approval voting is clearly useful in small groups.  At what
point in the continuum between high-stakes elections and small-group
decisions does Approval voting become inappropriate?  We don't know, and
we wouldn't agree, so let's let others make that choice.

The "elephant in the room" is that advocates of Range voting need to
also endorse Approval voting both because one criticism of Range voting
is that it can (might?) produce Approval-like results if every voter
votes strategically, and because Score ballots have greater appeal if we
also promote Approval ballots.

I think our role is to educate citizens about alternatives to
single-mark ballots, and then let those newly educated citizens choose
which method best fits each specific situation.

Although I wouldn't want a U.S. President chosen by Approval voting, I
would be happy to use Approval voting in a _primary_ election for U.S.
President.

I agree we should aim high.  I think we are already doing that by aiming
for a large number of signatures.

Richard Fobes