[EM] advocacy: Approval is premature compromise

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 06:54:04 PDT 2011

I certainly sympathize with the desire to avoid premature compromise. Brian
gave the example of universal healthcare versus the Obama plan. As someone
who phonebanked for Obama in 2008 (from Guatemala) but now thinks he's a
decidedly worse-than-average president, I agree with your example.

But I don't think that the voting reform situation is comparable. With
healthcare, it is clear that Obamacare is a compromise; that the more
radical option is single payer; and that going further still would take you
to single provider. With voting reform, the next step after approval is not
so clear. Is it Condorcet, Majority Judgment, SODA, or Range? Any one of us
could answer that question; but we cannot agree on a common answer.

Also, approval is clearly a step towards any of those other systems.
Obamacare is an unholy Frankenstein of ad-hoc adjustments.

I am not suggesting that we all redirect all our energies to passing
approval. Obviously we are all free to make our own evaluations of where our
reform energy is best-spent. I am simply arguing that ... well, if we were
voting on voting systems, correct strategy would be to all put our "approval
threshold" just below approval.

Jameson