[EM] ranked pair method that resolves beat path ties.

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 00:56:28 PST 2011

If we are talking about natural measures of defeat strength, then I must say that margins and ratio seem reasonably sensible to me, and winning votes does not. It is hard to justify the idea that defeat 49-48 is as strong as 49-0, and defeat 49-48 is stronger than 48-0. It is also weird that if a "strong" 49-48 winner loses two votes, it becomes suddenly a "strong" 47-48 loser.

I think winning votes is more a design that is intended to answer to some of the strategic voting concerns, not a tool for natural pairwise preference strength comparison. Election methods can be designed to give best possible winners with sincere votes, or to be as resistant against some chosen set of strategies as possible. I think margins tries to address the first need, and winning votes is more natural as part of the other approach.

Juho