[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:54:44 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think it would be great if we could unite all the activists, theorists,
> and academics behind a single plan for system-wide election reform. I would
> get behind such a plan in a heartbeat, even if I thought it was flawed in
> its details.
>
> But that is, demonstrably, not happening.

It has not happened *yet*.  There is a strong majority of electoral reform
or progressive activists in favor of IRV+PR.  It's the electoral theorists
who don't like IRV.  I'd like to think that if we take into account more
realistic models of voter behavior that it'll help us to build more unity.
Likewise, with the need to push for PR usages that handicap the rivalry
between the two major parties et al. , rather than end two-party domination
of US politics.  Successful electoral reform advocacy has had to choose its
battles with the status quo.  It has not been driven by theory, it has used
it as a tool.  This list tends to elevate the role of electoral theory
beyond what is meant for it.

> David, you do not have a choice between a world where you agree with
> others, and a world where they agree with you. You have a choice between a
> world where you agree with others, and a world where you don't. That's the
> only part you get to decide.
>
> I honestly believe that the statement, as it is, is going to bring the
> broadest possible consensus. To convince me to favor changing it, you'd
> have to convince me otherwise.

If a political reform statement is not supported institutionally, it's
going to swim upstream to influence things.  I have learned this the hard
way and it is why I view myself as a foot-soldier ally of FairVote.

> Why do I care more about the breadth of consensus than about which reforms
> are most likely to pass in the short term? Because I think that short-term
> thinking is, well, shortsighted. Fairvote has some hard-won accomplishments
> behind it, yes. But honestly, the distance they've come is a small fraction
> of the total effort it's going to take to reform the whole voting system in
> the US (or Guatemala where I live, or the UK, or...). Given where we are in
> that larger context, I think that the most effective I can possibly be is
> by trying to promote the broadest consensus possible.

We agree that a FPTP dominated system really sucks.  However, it is the
system of my country(I don't know about Guatemala).  As such, it dictates
that we act strategically(as opposed to consensually).  You can't end FPTP
without following its logic and that entails the sort of activism mastered
by FairVote.  So when we snipe at FairVote and IRV, we make it easier for
others to muddy the waters and we risk holding up electoral reform.

And it's going to get easier to push for electoral reforms in the coming
year thanks to #OWS and unhappiness with both major parties(especially when
people wake up to how hard it is to get and enforce effective CFR).  But I
think we need to respect FairVote's leadership role and the first-mover and
marketing advantage of IRV to take advantage of this time.
dlw