[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:41:26 PST 2011

2011/11/22 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> 2011/11/22 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Aye, and that still looks better than a two-stage with a 40%
>>> cutoff(what's in place now) or FPTP.
>>

>> Yes.
>>

>>> If they had stuck with IRV in Burlington, the perceived flaws would have
>>> worked themselves out.
>>>

>> How? By people returning to lesser-evil voting, but possibly between
>> progressives and democrats? That's not a solution in my book.
>>

> The two major-party equilibrium would be centered around the de facto
> center.

So you're happy with the Democrat/Republican choice?

>> And even if it were, it will take several elections before the time that
>> the spoiler isn't the first-round winner so that people can realize they're
>> a spoiler.
>>

> I do not follow.

The first-round winner in Burlington was the spoiler. Good luck trying to
convince his followers to vote for the Democrat next election to avoid
another spoiled result. "We should have won last time, and you want us to
vote for you losers?"

>>> In the US, three-way close races are not common and can be mitigated in
>>> other ways, such as are already at work with FPTP.
>>>

>> I don't want to "mitigate" (that is, try to avoid) them, I want to handle
>> them correctly.
>>

> And there is no *correctly *in the ongoing experiment called democracy.
>  But when we get caught in notions that there are such, we tend not to
> experiment as much.

You're talking about adding more epicycles to handle a "problem", I'm the
saying that there's no real problem. I don't see that either of those
positions is more experimentation-ready than the other.

Jameson