[EM] MTA vs. MCA (was "An ABE solution")

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:56:10 PST 2011

2011/11/21 Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au>

> "Why ranked and not graded ballots?"
>
> Because
> (a) part of the traditional definition of  ER-Bucklin(whole), aka
> "ABucklin", is that it uses ranked ballots
>
> (b) in some circles/jurisdictions there is no interest in "graded"
> ballots, and there are sometimes more
> candidates than available grades (or rating slots) so ranked ballots allow
> voters who want to stricly rank
> all the candidates to do so, and
>
> (c) if we can use graded ballots then it would be simpler to use
> multi-slot MTA.
>
> MTA stands for "Majority Top,Approval" or "Majority Top//Approval".
>
> But  I agree that these FBC and some of the Condorcet methods run more
> smoothly on grading ballots.
>
> "This method would be consistent with non-normalized ballots (with no
> top-ratings or no bottom-ratings) being
>  strategically optimal in some cases, arguably in most real-world cases."
>
> I don't see how it could be "strategically optimal" to submit a ballot
> "with no top-ratings or no bottom-ratings".

I said "in some cases". That is, for some realistic scenarios, if you had
perfect knowledge of other's votes, you still could find no vote that would
be strategically better than your honest, non-normalized vote. In fact,
even if you know that the election is an unknown linear combination of two
(perfectly-known) different election scenarios, your sincere non-normalized
vote could still be optimal.

"Optimal" here means that it is as good as possible. There will always be
an exaggerated and/or normalized vote which is also optimal.

Basically, to make things concrete: in a median-based system, if you know
the two expected frontrunners, and know that both of their scores will be
in a certain grade range, and your sincere scores for those two are outside
of that grade range on opposite sides, then there is no need to further
exaggerate beyond that range. That constraint of course can't hold for all
voters at once (though it will commonly hold for many or most voters); but
there are other cases where exaggeration is pointless, as well as some
voters who don't care about strategy, and so it could be the case that no
strategic voters need exaggerate.

Jameson