[EM] Approval Bad Example

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 9 20:19:22 PST 2011

Mike Ossipoff wrote (9 Nov 2011):

> Here's the definition of MDD,TR:
>
> 3-slot method: Top, Middle, Bottom (unmarked)
>
> Disqualify any candidate(s) having a majority pairwise defeat.
>
> The winner is the un-disqualified candidate with the most top ratings.
>
> [end of MDD,TR definition]

This definition isn't complete. As it is, it isn't decisive because it's
possible
that *all* the candidates can be disqualified.  You need to specify that if
all the candidates have a majority-strength defeat then none of them are
disqualified.

I'm not a fan of this method for reasons I may elaborate on in a later post.
It has a strong random-fill incentive, and fails the Plurality and Mono-add-
Plump criteria.

Chris Benham