[EM] IRV variants

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:24:30 PST 2011

> I don't get it. (I am confused by your explanation of the
> algorithm).
> How do you think this is better than your latest version of
> Enhanced DMC?

It takes care of the chicken problem.  But forget my confusing process; the IRV- Condorcet you
describe here is a simpler solution, as long as you allow equal rankings, and count them as whole (as
opposed to fractional):

> I think a good method is the IRV-Condorcet hybrid that differs
> from IRV
> only by before any and each elimination
> checks for an uneliminated candidate X that pairwise beats all
> the other
> uneliminated candidates and elects the
> first such X to appear.

Yes this is simpler.

> That of course gains Condorcet, and it keeps IRV's Mutual
> Dominant Third
> Burial Resistance property.
> So if a candidate X pairwise beats all the other candidates and
> is
> ranked above all the other candidates on more than
> a third of the ballots then (as with IRV) X must win and a rival
> candidate Y's supporters can't get Y elected (assuming
> they can somehow change their ballots) by Burying X.
>
> Does your method share that property?
>
> > 49 C
> > 27 A>B
> > 24 B
> >
> > Candidate A starts out as underdog, survives B, and is beaten
> by C, so
> > C wins.
>

> From what I think I do understand of your algorithm
> description,
> doesn't candidate B start out as "underdog"?

Yes, I was in too much of a hurry when I wrote that.

Also contrary to my hopes the method turned out to be non-monotonic, because the IRV elimination
order can eliminate a candidate earlier as a result of more first place support.  Only elimination orders
without this defect can be used as a basis for a monotone method.

Forest