[EM] Election Day causes stress

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:56:53 PST 2011

2011/11/8 Ted Stern <araucaria.araucana at gmail.com>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/science/voters-experience-stress-on-election-day-study-finds.html
>
> I remember hearing about other studies showing that making difficult
> decisions "uses up" the energy and neurotransmitters required for will
> power.
>
> So to bring this back on topic, I think we should be looking for
> methods that make voting decisions easier for the voter, because it
> will lead to better, less stressful decisions.
>
> ...such as SODA <http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA_voting>.

SODA essentially asks two questions:
1. Is there a candidate you trust?
2. If not, whom would you not be disappointed to see win? (ie, better than
expected value for election)

I think these questions, and the simple ballot, are certainly less
stressful than ranking, and for some people less stressful than rating.

I also think that SODA would reduce stress about strategizing.

Jameson