[EM] Toy election model: 2D IQ (ideology/quality) model

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 13:33:48 PST 2011

This kind of modelling simplifies voter behaviour and political space quite a lot, but I found this kind of approach quite useful in simulations in a two-dimensional opinions space. The level of simplification of the candidate strengthening/weakening approach is roughly the same as the idea of assuming voters to have two-dimensional opinions. I used mostly *factors* to modify candidate strength.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2011-July/027976.html

One can use the strength of a candidate e.g. in combination with strategies so that one can compensate loss of popularity due to recommending strategies to the actual benefits of the strategy. Or in a more basic se-up, just to check e.g. if nomination of some irrelevant candidates could be used as a strategy (and indeed in some situations this seemed to be the case in those simulations).

This kind of simplified simulations and simplified models do not give a full picture of what methods are but they are an excellent tool in demonstrating some properties of methods in a way that is not too far from (actually quite close to) what may happen in real life. I think weak and strong candidates are a good and useful approach as long as one remembers that one talks about a simplified model.

Juho