[EM] Interactive Representation

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 02:03:57 PST 2011

Yes. It would be a quite natural approach to first count the number of seats that each party gets based on the number of votes that they got, and then use the rankings and more complex counting methods within each party separately. That would have brought the high numbers of 35 and 405 down to 11 and 35. Then, if needed, one could use tricks like combining several of the weakest candidates together as if they were one candidate that is ranked as high as the highest among those candidates in each vote. If that approach gives a result where none of the grouped candidates will be elected, we could safely assume that none of them would have won anyway. We would still have a small risk of not being able to count the results efficiently. There may be also other useful tricks. Maybe some special rules would be needed in that case (like STV like elimination of some number of weakest candidates).

Juho