[EM] JamesonQ, wrt critical part of re: Kristofer Munsterhjelm

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:00:07 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> JQ:Unfortunately, I think it's hard to build a national or even a local
> movement for a complicated, multi-step reform plan. You have to be able to
> say what you want in about four words, tops.

dlw: It helps if you use alliteration or variations on existing
slogans...God Bless(We Need) American Proportional Representation(PR)!

>  Plan A:
> 1. Local elections using PR. ("But I don't care about local elections...")

Re: that's cuz they're (almost) never competitive.
The reason why is because we don't use PR.
If we use PR, it will make them competitive, which will make us care about
them and it will help in lots of ways.... (increased local activism, where
we're more effective....and so on...)

> 2. Increases power of third parties ("But I don't care about third
> parties...")

Alternatives: (start with) Handicap major party rivalry (End Incentive for
Grid-Lock) or Give  third parties a role/part-to-play/chance or "Let us
Play Coy (Politically)"

> 3. More spoiled or near-spoiled elections increase pressure for
> single-winner reform ("Huh?")

Alternative: Meaningful Multi-seat elections mean More Voices.  More voices
means more reforms, including electoral reforms.

> 4. Single-winner reform implemented ("But IRV was the wrong reform, we
> should have gone for system X")

Re: With IRV, there'll be room for more than one electoral reform at a time!

[JQ]6. One day, we have a competitive, more-than-two-way race for
> representative, senator, president, or mayor
> 7. Corruption withers.
>
> See how many people you lose before you get to steps 6 and 7?[/JQ]

dlw: Not as many as you all tend to lose when you talk about your alphabet
soups of characteristics of single-winner election rules.

> JQ:I think this works better:
> Plan B:
> 1. Empower a commission (like the one in Rhode Island now... which hasn't
> been constituted yet although it was supposed to start working in
> September) to pick a good single-winner system.

[/endquote]

how is this commission "empowered" and how do they pick the criterion that
is decisive for picking a good single-winner system?

2. Use that system at all levels.

dlw:That's 6 words.

dlw: But one election rule doesn't fit all elections so this undercuts the
deeper need for electoral pluralism!  And it's too damn easy to get some
smart person who understands electoral analytics to find something to make
any election rule look bad.

3a. Increases pressure for PR reform

dlw:You gotta get folks first to swallow the super-rule.  There is
precedent for election reforms getting reversed, and not just with IRV!!!

3b. All races more competitive

dlw: Start at the top, after changing every election, and then PR?  But the
whole point is that the partial/strategic use of PR gives us more bang than
some mythical single-winner reform that has yet to be tried out much in
political elections.
dlw: I may not my idea packaged [yet] for general consumption, but that
doesn't mean I'm not generally right...

> 4. Corruption withers

dlw:Age of Aquarius begins.

> JQ:My point is not that single-winner reform is more important or easier
> than PR reform, but that if either one will lead to the other, we should
> start with the one that can apply to all races initially, not the one which
> is limited in scope. It appeals to people who only care about the top of
> the ticket, and it does not lead to the disruptive and
> temporarily-counterproductive step 3 of plan A.

dlw:"if" either one will lead to the other.
Experience has not suggested that we're going to agree on one election rule
as inherently superior so that it should be implemented in all elections.
 I for one would argue against such, saying that election rules are like
screw-driver, no one works well for all elections.   But even if we did
somehow come to agreement, we'd still need to make the change one election
at a time, rather than to all elections at once.  That's political science
fiction.  There's precedent in the US for getting PR adopted in "more
local" elections, as there's precedent for stalwarts using smoke and
mirrors to subvert electoral reform.

> JQ:Anyway, that's why I prefer something like plan B. Obviously on the
> whole what we need are different people starting out with different plans,
> and also ready to support any plan that starts working. So I'm not telling
> anyone to stop doing what they're doing, just giving my own thoughts.

dlw: The push for American forms of PR is going to begin soon, it's a good
time to get prepared to make it a success!