[EM] a response to Andy J.

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Nov 3 07:14:07 PDT 2011

David L Wetzell wrote:

> And I don't think the Condorcet criterion is /that important/, as I
> think in political elections, our options are inherently fuzzy options
> and so all of our rankings are prone to be ad hoc.

If opinions are fuzzy, that means that the voters' true distribution
within political space would differ somewhat from the distribution you
would infer by looking at the votes alone.

In terms of the 2D Yee diagrams, this means that if the voters are
centered on a certain pixel, their votes might behave as if it was
centered on one of the neighboring pixels (since each pixel in a 2D Yee
diagram gives who would win if the population were normally distributed
around that point in political space and preferred candidates closer to
them). So in a Condorcet method, this might sometimes lead to the wrong
candidate being elected. It would do so in the case where the true
distribution is on one side of the divider between two Voronoi cells,
and the distribution inferred from the votes alone is at the other side.

However, fuzzy opinions can cause greater problems with IRV. Because IRV
is sensitive to the order of eliminations, it doesn't just have the
clean cell transitions of Condorcet; it can also have disconnected
regions near the edges or in the middle of one of the regions. In
essence, these are the same as the "island of other candidates"
artifacts, but in two dimensions rather than one.

It may be the case that voters are not centrally distributed in
political opinion-space, but I think the observation can be generalized.
If I'm right, why put up with a method that, by sensitivity to the
elimination order, amplifies the fuzziness of the votes?