[EM] Tentative replacement for CD

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:25:08 PDT 2011

First I proposed CD, then I said that it might be too demanding, and _tentatively_
suggested a replacement. It wasn't a good one.

Here I suggest another replacement for CD:

Tentative replacement for CD:

Supporting definitions:

"The A voters" are the voters to whom A is favorite.
"The B voters" are the voters to whom B is favorite.

"The others" are the candidates other than A and B.

A voter votes sincerely iff s/he doesn't falsify a preference or
fail to vote a preference that the voting system in use would have
allowed hir to vote in addition to those preferences that s/he actually
did vote.

Premise:

The A voters and the B voters are, together, a majority.

They all prefer A and B to the others.

Voting is sincere, except that the B voters refuse to vote A over anyone.

A would win under sincere voting  (in other words, had the B voters voted sincerely
as did everyone else).

Requirement:

Either A wins, or A and B win (tie), or neither A nor B wins.

[end of tentative CD definition]

I know that I don't like what happens in the ABE. Maybe this replacement, today,
is the way to describe ABE with a criterion.

Mike Ossipoff