[EM] MMPO and FBC. Votes-only criteria

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:18:04 PDT 2011

Jameson--

You wrote:

> What I meant was, if a criterion says system X must give result
 Y for
> ballots Z and sincere preferences Q, then it also says
that X must give
> Y for Z and R.

You didn't say what R stands for.

> As long as there is some Q for which (Q,Z) meets the

criterion, then Z meets the criterion for any preferences.

Absolutely not, if the criterion stipulates certain preferences.

> This is just

> what a voting system is; if it gives Y for (Q,Z), it gives Y for
(Q,R),
> unless it can read minds.

You didn't say what R stands for.

Yes a voting system's result is a function of the voting system and the
ballots.

No, that doesn't mean that a criterion can't speak of preferences.

No, that doesn't mean that the criterion can read minds.

Note that in my preference criteria, I speak of sincere voting, voting a
 less-liked

candidate over one's favorite, etc. When I do that, the sincere
preferences, and the

sincere voting or the not voting of anyone over one's favorite, specify
particular properties

of the voter's ballot.