[EM] A design flaw in the electoral system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Nov 2 04:37:28 PDT 2011

Dear Fred,

> That is specious.  The phrases "in my terminology" and "in my terms"
> may have significance for you but they do not make your definition
> 'technically' correct.  I'm attaching definitions of the terms
> 'vote', 'voter' and 'ballot', below, for whatever value you may find
> in them.

In order to avoid confusion, I may have to substitute "actual voter",
meaning one who is actually voting.  OK.

> The assertion that the value of a vote is 'exactly zero' is equally
> distressing.  It is based on the assumption that changing the input
> to a completed process will not alter the result of the process.
> The arguments in support of the assumption are abstruse.

Some misunderstanding, because I did not assume that.  Theory claims a
value of zero and I measure a value of zero.

Again, I believe you mean the assumptions of experimental science in
general, not my own in particular.

> You correctly assert that, in a democracy, an electoral process that
> provides no means for public participation in the decision making
> process is flawed.  The open question is how to resolve that issue.
> We would do well to apply our intellect to that thorny problem.

You will agree it usually helps to identify the cause of the problem.
Why the lack of public participation?  I ask a similar question here:
http://www.nycga.net/groups/vision-and-goals/forum/topic/what-is-the-cause-of-these-problems/

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528