[EM] Remember toby JQ

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 30 19:10:53 PDT 2011

Hi Jameson,

--- En date de : Lun 30.5.11, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> a écrit :

If ballot design considerations limited the number of ranks available for Condorcet/Approval, one could still use equal ranking to approve an unlimited number of candidates. I agree that an explicit "unapproved" ranking, though theoretically unnecessary because it's synonymous with a blank ballot line, would help voters understand what's happening. Even just two approved ranks would be a good system, but I believe that any serious proposal should advocate at least three approved ranks (four ranks overall), because I suspect that would get more support.

An advantage to two approved ranks (with one disapproved) is that it becomes hard
(impossible?) to show Smith failure examples.

Your typical example has four candidates and four distinct ranks with a cycle among
three of them. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with three slots.

Kevin