[EM] remember Toby Nixon?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue May 24 20:07:55 PDT 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 6:42 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> About six years ago Toby Nixon asked the members of this EM list for
> a advice on what election method
> to try propose in the Washington State Legislature. He finally
> settled on CSSD beatpath.   As near as I
> know nothing came of it.   What would we propose if we had another
> opportunity like that?
> It seems to me that people have rejected IRV, Bucklin, and other
> methods based on ranked ballots
> because they don’t want to rank the candidates.

I would propose Condorcet, with just a few clarifications:
      Leave CSSD beatpath as a detail method decision to resolve later.
      Reject IRV for known problems.
      Those unranked are simply counted as having the bottom rank.
      Write-ins permitted and counted as if actually nominated.  This
is a bit of extra pain, but I like it better than demanding extra
nominations that enemies could make unacceptably difficult.
      Equal ranking permitted.  Those who like Approval should
understand that using a single rank lets them express their desire
without considering ranking in detail.
      No restrictions as to how rank numbers compare - when
considering which of a pair has higher rank, ONLY their ranks compare
as H>L, L>H, or E=E - what ranks are assigned to other candidates have
no effect on this.
      No restriction as to how many rank numbers a voter may use,
beyond fact that a chosen ballot design may impose a limit as to how
many can be expressed.
      DYN is a simple addition for those who see value in that
method.  Unranked serves as no; top rank serves as yes; third (middle)
rank gets passed to the candidate this voter wants to leave choice to.

Dave Ketchum