[EM] I hit upon why rating is easier than ranking.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue May 10 15:50:22 PDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 1:03 AM, ⸘Ŭalabio‽ wrote:
> 	2011-05-09T07:46:22Z, “Kristofer Munsterhjelm”
> <Km_Elmet at Lavabit.Com>:
>> 	⸘Ŭalabio‽ wrote:
>>> With ranking, one must determine and remember the full rank
>>> order.  It is very easy to forget:
>>> 	“¡Darn!  ¡I should have ranked Candidate T between Candidates
>>> I  and
>>> L!”
>>> 	This problem does not exist with rating.

Disagreed - see below.

>> 	It exists in the manner it would also exist in 0-to-n rated
>> voting. If you forget to rate candidate X, he would get the default
>> bottom rating of 0, same as if you forget to rank candidate X, he
>> would get the default bottom "unranked" rank.
>
> 	With a ranked ballot, one must get a new ballot and rerank all of
> the candidates and remember to put Candidate T between Candidates I
> and L.  This is part of the reason ranked ballots have such high
> spoilage-rates.

If trying to be realistic in comparing methods, it would make sense to
put comparable effort into designing ballots and rules for voters.

Ratings and rankings both need numbers, though ratings, as usually
done, need a larger range than voters could make use of for ranking.

Unranked/unrated are best done by the voter saying nothing, though
both methods could demand explicit action by voters (possibility of
fraud can matter).  Making equal ratings/rankings acceptable makes
sense to some.

So for this comparison a voter could have ranked/rated I as 05 and L
as 06, then realize need to attend to T.
.     Puzzling that this voter considers T too important to leave
unranked/unrated but:
.     Assume 05.5 is impossible for the ballots used.
.     Could make T 05 or 06 - VERY close in Condorcet, with ballot
exactly as desired, except for one detail - T=I or T=L instead of
I<T<L; almost as close in Score with microscopic differences due to
the added rating value.
.     With either method this desperate voter could do the new ballot
effort.

Dave Ketchum