[EM] Election method simulator code - revision control

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sun May 8 23:55:28 PDT 2011

Michael Allan wrote:
> I don't know if it's helpful information, but Mercurial and Git are
> functionally very similar.  There isn't much to choose between them.
> I never understood why Torvalds and crew bothered coding Git in the
> first place.  I use Mercurial.
>
> There's a bunch of hosting sites for both tools, but you don't really
> need them.  Distributed revision control is logically peer to peer.
> It doesn't depend on central sites.  As long as you have upload access
> to an ordinary Web server, you can share your code with anyone (even
> on the hosting sites) just by posting your repo.  Here are my own
> repos, for example: http://zelea.com/var/db/repo/

I think I'll keep the current setup for now, though. The hosting sites
seem to give additional tools to make it easier to coordinate, report
and fix bugs, document, and so on. If I grow out of the hosting site,
I'll consider moving elsewhere, but there's no risk of that yet :-)

As for Github vs Google, I haven't thought much about it. I pretty much
just picked a reasonably well known hosting site. Is Git very different
from svn?