[EM] a question about apportionment

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun May 8 13:48:40 PDT 2011

One of his thoughts caught my eye.
On May 8, 2011, at 1:32 AM, ⸘Ŭalabio‽ wrote:

> 	With Condorcet, one must rate many candidates and then one must
> resolve cycles.  I prefer scorevoting.

We do not usually say "rate" with Condorcet but, thinking:  Two
thoughts fit together for Score.
We optimize the ratings but, before we can really do that, we need to
order the candidates from best to worst.

In Condorcet we also need to order the candidates - so it makes sense
to separate this shared task before comparing the differences in the
systems.  So now, comparing the systems:

For either, order the candidates from best, that this voter hopes
wins, to the collection of worst that this voter equally dislikes and
wants to help none of.

For Score distribute ratings equally, with equal ratings ok for equal
liking - trivial effort.  Then optimize ratings - perhaps for each
trio, B/S/W, adjust S up to help S beat W, or down to help B beat S -
THIS is LABORIOUS.

For Condorcet simply rank as sorted, with equal rankings ok, and
leaving worst unranked - trivial effort.  DONE, for the voter is not
concerned with cycles, a task for the method when there are three or
more nearly tied candidates that form a cycle.