[EM] Statement by this list (was Remember toby Nixon)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri May 27 00:01:34 PDT 2011

This thread, like this list, has two purposes - practical advocacy and
mathematical exploration.

On the practical advocacy front, I'd propose a process:
0. We discuss get some degree of informal consensus on this process itself -
I imagine it will take about a week, so say, before Sunday June 5th.
1. We draw up a statement which details the serious problems with plurality
in the US context, and states that there are solutions. Leave a blank space
for a list of acceptable solutions. This statement, when finished (after
step 3) would be "signable" by any members of this list, completely at their
own option.
2. We take a vote on what options to list. We can use betterpolls.com,
remembering that the scores there are -10 to 10, and negative/positive is
mapped to approval/disapproval.
3. We list the options and the winner(s) in the statement and sign it.
4. When we have a good number of signatures, we put out a "press" release to
some bloggers who've shown an interest in the issue (e.g. Andrew Sullivan)

My hope is that, despite the varied opinions, we could say something clearly
and strongly enough to have an impact.

JQ