[EM] Any unusual/bad/overlooked methods or lotteries? For a simulation

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:34:55 PST 2011

I think that this kind of investigation of strategy in realistic monte-carlo
simulations is important. Two comments:

1. Do you plan to share your source code? I'd encourage you to do so,
preferably under some kind of open-source license (including just public
domain).

2. I've been thinking of how to extend Yee diagrams to show strategic
vulnerabilities. So far, I'm thinking of starting with a
interactiveone-dimesional Yee
diagram<http://zesty.ca/voting/voteline/> with
three candidates, and using method DNA to show separate strategic and
counterstrategic possibilities in separate lines. In those terms,
runoff-style methods (including my recently-developed MCA-Asset and GMCA)
are somewhat confounding, because a first-round strategy doesn't carry over
into the second round, so they effectively expand the range that the DNA
must cover to include both rounds (although I think that certain ballots,
such as A>B>C and then C>B>A, can be discounted).
For your simulation, I wonder if it would be possible to include such
methods, by assuming that voters would always be honest in the second
(two-candidate) runoff round? Of course, pushover strategies and
counterstrategies would become important for such systems.

Jameson