[EM] Pirate Party of Berlin adopts the Schulze method

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 1 14:14:49 PST 2011

Hallo,

Robert Bristow-Johnson wrote (1 March 2011):

> that said, i can't figure out from the website who
> wins according to the Schulze algorithm. and, if
> you know, could you tell us who would win if it
> was decided by Ranked Pairs?

magalski beats baum 48:39.
baum beats mayer 48:46.
mayer beats magalski 48:47.

The bylaws say that the strength of a pairwise defeat
is measured by the absolute number of votes for the
winner of this pairwise defeat. So each defeat has
a strength of 48. Therefore, there is a tie between
magalski, baum, and mayer.

The same would be true for the ranked pairs method.

> and, lastly, do we know who would win if it were
> single-winner STV (commonly called IRV in the states)?

Many voters cast more than one first preference.
Therefore, it is not possible to say who would
have been elected under IRV.

Markus Schulze