[EM] Remember Toby

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 07:19:12 PDT 2011

2011/6/23 Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>

> What is the difference between "least extra votes" and MinMax(margins)?
> Isn't "least extra votes" pretty much the definition of MinMax(margins)?
> (assuming that the extra votes rank the candidate in question first)

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking that it was "least *removed* votes".

If there are 5 or more members in the uncovered set (which, unlike the Smith
set, cannot have 4 members), then the minmax winner could have two defeats
on different sets of ballots, while some other candidate could have two
slightly-larger defeats, but on the same set of ballots. The
least-removed-ballots winner would then differ from the minmax winner. It
seems that extra votes avoids this issue, though.

JQ

ps... I don't want this thread to get too distracted from the central issue;
I was trying to bring it back to discussing the best practical proposals,
because I saw the discussion of a user-friendly CSSD definition as a
side-track.