[EM] Fwd: A secure distributed election scheme based on Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work protocol

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sun Jun 19 00:48:01 PDT 2011

Mike Frank wrote:

> 3) Similarly, national governments might lose in terms of not
> controlling their own currency, but gain in terms of reducing barriers
> to trade and having the world economy grow.

Not being able to run a countercyclical policy would, I think, lead to a
much greater volatility of the economy, which wouldn't be very good. The
states might be able to have control of their economy to some lesser
degree (since they could say they'll only get involved in loan disputes
involving their own currency, and that only their own currency can be
used for paying taxes), but still...

(The monetarists disagree. But then they think countercyclical policy in
general is futile.)

Furthermore, since bitcoin has a ceiling on the number of coins in the
economy, it is inherently deflatory. This means that as the economy
expands, it makes sense to hold onto the money to wait for it to
appreciate; but if everybody does that, there won't be much activity in
the first place.

So the desirability of having a bitcoin-run economy depends on what kind
of economic policy you think works best. The standard Keynesian
inflation/managed sort seems to have worked quite well over here, but a
bitcoin economy would make that much harder to execute.

Of course, this doesn't really change whether bitcoin will succeed. It
can be perfectly rational for individuals to engage in the economy, yet
the outcome be worse than if they had all stayed away.

(And this is really offtopic.)