[EM] C//A (was: Remember Toby)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jun 15 19:26:48 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
> On 15.6.2011, at 14.46, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>
>> It's better if explaining the method's
>> rules is enough (or close) to understand the strategy.
>
>> No, I am (almost) saying that if you have to explain the strategy
>> separately then that's bad. I think people will want to understand
>> the
>> strategy in the sense that they can understand *how* they come to
>> that
>> conclusion.
>
> Ok, my thinking was that in some cases it is enough to tell how to
> vote sincerely (=never mind the vote counting process, it is good
> enough to do the job). The next level would be to tell how the
> method works (and let people draw whatever simple conclusions they
> need to draw from that). The third level would be to teach them also
> how to vote strategically. The fourth level could be to tell them to
> vote as told by the trusted strategy experts that plan optimal
> strategy for their party.
>
>>> Truncation (to equal last position)
>>> of unknown and irrelevant candidates could be a natural
>>> thing to do to most sincere voters if the number of
>>> candidates is high.

I see number of candidates not mattering.  You properly quit after:
      .  Running out of known and relevant candidates.  How well the
ballot counting may be effected leads you for or against voting more.

>> If you're going to say that last sentence then your idea that
>> truncation
>> shouldn't mean more than a split vote makes no sense to me. If voters
>> that you consider *sincere* may use truncation for a special reason,
>> why can't that phenomenon be reflected in the method? Just due to the
>> simplicity of the explanation when it isn't reflected?
>
> My thinking was the the voters may well have some preferences
> between the remaining 100 candidates but they are so small and those
> candidates are so likely not to win that filling the ballot with
> complete rankings would be a too big task when compared to the
> expected benefits. For similar reasons voters might use equal
> ranking also elsewhere in the ballot.
>
> So, in this case the voters were approximately / very close to
> sincere. Using truncation for some explicit strategic purpose would
> be different. But on the other hand, if truncation has an agreed
> sincere meaning, then voters could use also truncation in that
> meaning (e.g. approval) (losing rankings of the remaining candidates
> could be seen as just the way that the method works, and voters
> would thus rank sincerely only those candidates that they approve).
>
> (I remind that in my terminology here "sincere" refers to use of
> some natural language description on what the ballot means and how
> one should vote (without voters having to worry about how the vote
> counting process works), and "strategic" means casting an efficient
> vote based on knowledge on how the vote counting process will work.)

>>> tends to
>>> normally
>>> wonder
>>> clones are

Importance of cones is inherited from Plurality, where existence of
clones reduced their likelihood of being elected.  In Condorcet they
can be assigned the same rank by any voters seeing them as clones of
each other.