[EM] Covering , Ranked Pairs, Beatpath, and River

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 15 13:37:47 PDT 2011

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> If we measure defeat strength of A over B, primarily by whether or not A covers B, and secondarily by
> the number of winning votes, we get new versions of Ranked Pairs, River, and Beatpath.  These new
> versions retain all of the best properties of their winning votes versions, while always electing uncovered
> alternatives.

This trick will work on any method that simply compares different beat
strengths without taking the score directly into account. You can define
a greater-than operator as

"If A covers B, then A is greater than B.
Otherwise, A is greater than B if the wv (margins, whatever) of A is
greater than B".

So you could in theory do this with Minmax too, but not with Least
Reversal or Kemeny.