[EM] Covering , Ranked Pairs, Beatpath, and River

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jun 15 13:08:30 PDT 2011

If we measure defeat strength of A over B, primarily by whether or not A covers B, and secondarily by
the number of winning votes, we get new versions of Ranked Pairs, River, and Beatpath.  These new
versions retain all of the best properties of their winning votes versions, while always electing uncovered
alternatives.

In particular, the winner of Ranked Pairs (Covering, wv) goes like this:

1.  Lock the covering relation.

2.  Continue locking in defeats as in ordinary RP(wv).

Note that step one cannot introduce a cycle, because the covering relation is a partial order.